2020 Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally , as seen on Chopcult.com

 So, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to ride to shows on my bikes.. I love the local. Midwest ones like Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio- the quick weekend jaunt, type of shows. 

They are just long enough to forget your world and be a dirty biker for a few days, and yet short enough that you don't fall into the habit and accidentally stay on the road for 3 weeks.. oops! ... 

Last year, the year of the covid, we went to a lot of great local, grassroots shows. I love that word.. grass roots. Literally grown from the ground up, from nothing but an idea, a seed sprouted from someone's head who owned a bike: Hey I know, let's get together, have a great time and spook the townies by inviting almost 100 chopper mammas and daddies to come get nuts in their backyards.. 

We are ALWAYS IN.  

This year being what it was, I realize I didn't even take the time to write a SINGLE blog.. not one. I just took the whole year to focus on riding, immersing myself in building a life, less online activity, and all in the real world.  So I have SO MANY STORIES to write about this year, including this one! We finally got to go to a BIG bike Rally..  Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota.  The most opposite thing from what I normally do; ever.. even though I think a lot of folks would be surprised by that. I have never been to Daytona Bike Week either.. 

I wrote an article about it to accompany photos... and I decided to post it here, in its entirety, with a link to forever give Lisa , my Queen of Chopcult, all of the credit for getting us there, in to camp, and prepared to party. 

I remember how intimidating the crowds were, and how nervous I would be around that many people.. but honestly, as long as I was on my bike, I was fine.  It was the awkward social interactions and strange distancing policies that had me shook.  I wouldn't do it any other way, and I am SO glad I went.. I never got sick, and even ran into a few friends. 

I hope you enjoy my short recount that was published 10/12/2020.. it was every bit of this.. and more.  I even stole a glass from FTS.. sshhhhhh... I don't need any heat on my back.. LOL

2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally 10/12/2020 Chopcult.com/news/articles

This year has proven to be a year of constant surprises.  Good and Bad, wild and infectious-

Everyone has been warned to stay home, urged to stay within your own circle, and actually learn

how to wash your hands properly.  As every motorcycle event across our country was being cancelled,

one by one, I was surprised and delighted that Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was going on without a hitch. 

Some very big names pulled sponsorship, headlining bands cancelled their performances, and the

crowd was projected to be the smallest in 6 years, despite the 80th anniversary celebration.  This

bummed a lot of people out, and discouraged them from going.  When we were surprised with a last

minute invitation to go to Sturgis for the weekend, all of these reasons had the exact opposite effect

on our thoughts. Benny and I had an obligation to all of chopper-men and women kind- after all, if

we ARE all going to die, why not go out saying you were there? 

The Sturgis Buffalo Chip was our home for the weekend, and we had one hell of a good time checking

out EVERYTHING they had to offer their patrons. From the ring of death, to the bikini bike washes-

Camp Zero mini bikes, stunt shows and the bands that DID play to entertain the sea of people who

were just there to have a good time.  Michael Lichter’s Motorcycles as Art show was on the grounds,

and Benny got us in for an early showing, so he could take the beautiful photos.  Seeing so many hand

crafted works of art under one roof was literally jaw dropping. 

The crowds were spread out pretty well, unless you wanted to immerse yourself into the lawn area of

the stage, where you are encouraged to rev up your bike when you like what you are seeing on stage. 

The Flaunt Girls, a Rally staple, really got all of those motors running!  

Food vendors and trinket shops were sprinkled throughout the grounds, making sure you had the

souvenirs and blood sugar to remember your experience. Getting around was amazingly simple,

considering the golf carts were allowed almost everywhere on the grounds, and they acted like

social buffers as well… careening around the campgrounds and stage areas screaming ‘WHOOOO!’

at the tops of our lungs- just to hear a ‘WHOO HOOOO!’ back and someone throws you some beads.  

But the factor that set this rally apart from any show or event I have ever been to was the people.

Smiles on every face, just living their best life.  Riding some of the best roads our country has to offer,

and taking in the most awesome sights, on every style and brand of motorbike you could imagine. 

Sturgis is not only a party for two short weeks in August- it is a family reunion, a vacation, a sightseeing

adventure, a get together of all walks of life, and for those weeks- they are who they want to be-

allowed to let loose and just have fun on two wheels.  The epitome of being a biker.

Being able to experience everything we did in such a short amount of time, was a task- for sure. 

But even being able to experience an event, in its bare minimum, it’s true colors- and to be around

people who are fun loving true americans, just trying to hold on to what freedoms we still have-

dancing with giant turkey legs in their hands- dumping ‘em out to fully live uninhibited- carving the

beautiful mountain roads on your two wheeled machine- no matter how big the front wheel is- and

just fuckin’ LIVIN man! The 80th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will go down in my life’s history as a

great experience, and something I am SO glad we didn’t miss.   

Please feel free to share and comment, I LOVE feedback, and hearing about YOUR experiences!!



Comments

Unknown said…
Hope all women enjoy bikes as much as you..
Amy Sue Sporty said…
I LOVE women who enjoy bikes as much as I do!!

Popular posts from this blog

Tennessee Motorcycle Music Revival was just that.. a spiritual and life affirming Revival.

Ride to Camp tips from the Trippy Trip. =D =D

Another Blog about what its like to be a girl with a bike - Ironhead Sportster edition.